about the venue
The Riverfront Theatre & Arts Centre is based in the centre of Newport City centre and aims to bring as many people as possible into contact with the arts and creativity, with professional performances, film screenings and workshops.
The Riverfront is Newport's only professional presenting theatre and arts centre and has two theatre spaces, a visual art gallery space, dance studio, recording studio, workshop rooms, conference room and licensed cafe.
The Riverfront aims to be accessible and welcoming to all and we are committed to making your visit as easy and enjoyable as possible.
Though it is not essential, we would encourage people with additional access requirements to book in advance so we can readily provide any assistance. We support the Hynt Scheme and welcome people who may require additional assistance to enjoy our venue. To make this as easy as possible if you require additional assistance, you may bring a personal assistant along with you for free.
Entrances: Best Approach
There are two entrances to The Riverfront, one facing the Kingsway road which has ramped access or five steps with handrails to electric sliding doors. There are also two set of push/pull doors from the riverside entrance and ramp access.
Emergency Evacuation Information
The lift is an emergency evacuation lift so can be used in an emergency to support people to safely exit the building. There are also a number of wheelchair sanctuary points within the stairwells on the first floor if needed, these are clearly signposted. We also have evac chairs in designated stairwells to evacuate anyone with mobility issues and numerous staff are trained to use them.
The Riverfront is over three floors, which are all accessible by lift. The ground floor foyer is all on one level to box office, café, toilets and art gallery. There is one level access to the studio theatre and main theatre. There is also one main large staircase that also includes accessible nosings. There are accessible toilets on both the ground and first floor level. The accessible toilets do not have hoists or changing beds.
The workshop rooms, conference room, dance studio and recording studio are all accessible on one level but do have a number of doorways to negotiate.
The Basement Gallery also has lift access to the exhibition space, but the lift has a height restriction (1.25 meters) once you reach the basement, so the space is not appropriate for all. This space also has limited lighting.
Any Special Access Information
- There is ramp access to the building itself with a low level service counter at the Box Office
- There is lift access to the second floor and wheelchair access and toilet facilities accessible on all levels
- The Riverfront has two designated reserved parking spaces for blue badge holders at all times. The spaces are behind the building, next to stage door. To access these spaces visitors can drive into the building, call through to box office using the buzzer and box office will life the barrier. These spaces cannot be reserved.
- Assistance dogs are welcomed and can be cared for during performances by arrangement. To arrange this, please call the box office via phone or email.
- There are nine wheelchair spaces in the theatre and eleven wheelchair spaces in the studio.
- There is an electric wheelchair charger available for any customers to use at the Box Office.
- The hearing loop is run via mobile connect system. This can be downloaded to your phone where you can listen to it via the mobile connect app. This works in both the studio and theatre. Or the theatre has numerous devices that can be loaned out.
- A small number of performances are audio described or interpreted in British Sign Language. There are a number of seats reserved in the appropriate area in the theatre to gain the best access to these services.
- People who are Deaf, or hard of hearing, or blind or partially sighted, can now enjoy the magic of cinema at The Riverfront with subtitled and audio described screenings.
The main Auditorium Stalls and Art Gallery is next to the toilets on the ground floor. The Studio Theatre is slightly further away from the toilets on the ground floor. The Main Auditorium Balcony seats have toilets on the first floor.
Getting Here: Transport / Parking
Ideally located in the city centre of Newport, 5 minutes from the M4 and 90 minutes from London by rail with direct coach services from Heathrow and Gatwick Airports. Newport also has two other international airports – Cardiff and Bristol – within an hour’s drive.
The Riverfront is opposite the main bus station, a 10 minute walk from Newport Train Station and a 5 minute stroll from the main city shopping centre. The Riverfront is easily accessible by foot, car, coach and train.
Download our General Information Sheet for more information on directions and our facilities.
For more information on public transport, just call Traveline Cymru on 0871 200 22 33 or check out their website www.traveline.org.uk
By Road From M4 (Junction 26) follow the signs to the city centre along Malpas Road (A4051), under the flyover and along Kingsway. The Riverfront is on your left hand side. It is possible to drop off and collect immediately outside the building, by pressing the buzzer at the entrance barrier at the castle side of the building.
Parking There is a limited outside pay and display car park a bit further along the riverfront, past the Alacrity building and there are two indoor multi-storeys: Kingsway Centre Car Park is open from 7am until midnight every day.Parking is also opposite the Riverfront at Friars Walk.
Please check Car Park details in advance of your visit to ensure you have the most up to date information.